Frequently Asked Questions

Who can apply to the Master in Comparative Effectiveness Research?

As the Master in CER is an M2 level one-year programme, applicants must hold an internationally recognised Master’s degree or a first-year Master’s degree (M1, MSc) in epidemiology, biostatistics, public health, mathematics and related fields.

Prospective students also have to demonstrate proficiency in English language. If your first language is not English and if your previous degree was not taught entirely in English, you will be required to provide evidence of your English language proficiency, e.g. TOEFL IELTS test results.

By whom must the letters of recommendation be written?

Both recommendation letters must be written by individuals familiar with your academic and/or professional work. Letters of recommendation must be written in English or in French.

Where will the internship take place?

Internships can take place in France and abroad. Students may suggest a placement and location that will be discussed by the Master’s Scientific Committee for approval. Possible internship locations will also be suggested to students who have not secured a placement.

Where to find us?

Classes take place at Columbia Global Center, Reid Hall, 4 rue de Chevreuse 75006 Paris France.

The Master is managed by Professors Philippe Ravaud and Isabelle Boutron, located at the Centre of Research in Epidemiology and Statistics Sorbonne Paris Cité, Hôtel-Dieu, 1 place du Parvis de Notre-Dame 75004 Paris France.

What about accommodation or visa requirements?

Unfortunately, the Master of Public Health cannot see to accommodation, visa formalities or travel arrangements for the applicants.

Regarding accommodation, you can start by visiting the following websites: Cité Universitaire de Paris (, CROUS (, Airbnb,, (under “Immobilier – Location”). We do not endorse any of these establishments and please make sure that the advertisements you reply to are legitimate.

Regarding visa formalities, non-European applicants need to allow time to obtain a student entry visa. Please contact or visit the website of the French consulate ( to inquire on whether you need a visa. In case of necessity, we will be able to provide a letter of acceptance once the applicant has been accepted to the programme and has paid the tuition fees.

What about health insurance?

Starting fall 2019, the student health insurance fund will no longer exist.

  • EU citizens

You can ask your health insurance in your country for the free of charge European Health Insurance Card – EHIC (Carte européenne d’assurance maladie – CEAM) . You will be covered in Europe and Switzerland.

  • Non-EU citizens

You can register to a private health insurance fund or apply for the CMU (